What is Thelema
Thelema for Beginners - Introduction - Part 00.
Thelema for Beginners was developed by IAO131 and is hosted here by the Thelemic Order. While it is not an official publication of The Thelemic Order we consider it to be a balanced overview of Thelema.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
- “Thelema” on Thelemapedia
- “Thelema” on Wikipedia
- “Thelema 101” by Ash Bowie
- “What is Thelema” by Vere Chappell
- “What is Thelema?” by T. Polyphilus
- “93 y’all” by T.Polyphilus
- “Thelemic Salutations” by Bill Heidrick
- “Is Thelema a ‘New Religion?’” by Aleister Crowley from Magick Without Tears, chapter 31
- “Liber II: The Message of the Master Therion” by Aleister Crowley
- “Liber Oz: The declaration of the rights of man” by Aleister Crowley
- “The Law of Liberty” by Aleister Crowley
– Aleister Crowley, “The Law of Liberty“
“Thou must (1) Find out what is thy Will. (2) Do that Will with a) one-pointedness, (b) detachment, (c) peace.Then, and then only, art thou in harmony with the Movement of Things, thy will part of, and therefore equal to, the Will of God. And since the will is but the dynamic aspect of the self, and since two different selves could not possess identical wills; then, if thy will be God’s will, Thou art That.”
– Aleister Crowley, “Liber II: The Message of the Master Therion“
“Thelema is a Law encompassing an universal ethic, a revealed religion, postulates of magick, and a philosophy of nature.”
– T. Polyphilus, “93 y’all“
– IAO131, “Active Thelema, part 1“
“Thelema is a universal philosophy or way of life.”
– Gerald del Campo, “Brief Introduction to the Religion of Thelema“
“Thelema is a philosophical, mystical, and cultural system based upon a seemingly simple premise: that every person is a divine projection of the Universal All and, as such, has within him or her a True Will that is the expression of one’s deepest, most genuine self which acts in perfect accord with Nature. By laboring to apprehend and express this Will, one is able to live a life of greater harmony, fulfillment, and joy.”
– Ash Bowie
“In essence Thelema is a call to radical individual Liberty and Responsibility. It is summed up in the axiom “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.'”
– Sam Webster, “What’s Crowley Got To Do With Thelema, Anyway?“
I maintain that Thelema is first and foremost the formula of spiritual development most suited to our cultural and historical circumstances. It includes a philosophy informed by supra-rational experiences; it provides a basis for sacred observance that syncretizes the best elements of so-called ‘world religions.’ As I see it, Thelema is more Christian than Christianity, and more Satanic than Satanism.”
– T. Polyphilus, “What is Thelema?“
Love is the Law, love under will.
Thelema for Beginners was originally produced by IAO131 and is reproduced here with permission of the author. Some links and information have been added or updated by the TTO Website Admin.